These are my live blogged notes from the Thursday morning keynote at ASTD Tech Knowledge in Las Vegas.
@AmyJoMartin NY Times Best Selling Author & Founder of @DigitalRoyalty. http://www.RenegadesWriteTheRules.com
Find out more here: http://www.tkconference.org/index.cfm?do=cnt.page&pg=2018
It’s social communication, not social media.
Social Communication impacts all elements of businesses. It spreads across recruitment, development, etc.
People don’t buy what you do, they buy how you do. The goal is to sell to people who believe what you believe.
Through social we can explain why we do what we do through social.
How do we monetize?
Access > Connection > Relationship > Affinity > Influence > Conversion
(impressions don't convert, but influence does convert).
Return on Influence
Standard media impressions (cold metrics like FB and Twitter #s) x Warm Metrics (Sentiment + Engagment) = taking into account both the reach you have and the way people feel about you.
Engagement metrics = likes, retweets, comments – the ways that consumers show they’re engaged. (Comments take more time and are weighted more heavily than a like or retweet).
Influence leads to revenue.
How do we humanize our brand? Humans connect with humans and not with logos. It’s the individuals behind the logo that matter.
We don’t just need our leaders to be the face of social. Although that’s where it starts (leaders need to embrace and accept that this is what’s happening).
Employees should speak on behalf of the brand.
Zappos social media policy = “Be reasonable and use your best judgment.” If social is mistreated, it’s more of a personnel and HR issue.
Your employees become brand ambassadors who speak on behalf of the brand.
- People say they don’t have enough time.
- People say they don’t want to bridge their personal and professional worlds. (But you do have control over what you share).
- People think it’s too high tech.
Facebook has billions of users every month to Snapchat which has millions. (And yes, milennials are still using FB. Just differently)
Megatrends for social
Brand stories might start on TV (commercials) and continue on Twitter. E.g., Trident commercial airs during key shows. They can track and monitor who’s tweeting about those shows (using hashtags for those shows – like #madmen) and then target those viewers to continue the story on Twitter.
Social Media Education:
- Decreases liability
- Converts employees to brand ambassadors (they live the brand day to day)
- It’s a professional development tool
- Saves companies money (get easy data without spending money)
Digital Royalty University – they founded to go out and teach principles of social media.
- Use a blended learning approach.
- Kickoff with an in-person training session to set the stage about what about to learn and the very basics.
- Then transition to online learning. First do an assessment to understand what level they’re at before they get into the curriculum. (Just because you’ve been on FB for 3 years doesn’t mean you get it).
- Curriculum on demand, live webinars, google hangouts, videos.
- Train the trainer model for the in-person training. Have had to do that to be scalable.
- Curriculum on demand -- some titles: Twitter, FB 101, Social Event Activation, Social Crisis Communication, Measurement and Monetization, Community Management, Converting employees to brand ambassadors.
Created a custom learning environment for lululemon.
SHRM – progress bars to show how far you have to go, lessons are 4-10 minutes
LPGA golf players are mandated to go through social education
Innovation allergies (“that’s not the way we’ve done it,”, “that will take too much time.”, “what if it doesn’t work?”) – if we fail to innovate, we will face adversity.
Get people to be the humans behind the brand. Tell the story of the brand, be proactive with customer service, and connect with people.
Social Media Incentive Program –
Results of Social Media Education:
- Humanizing brands
- Quicker customer service response time
- Professional development
- Increase in brand’s positive sentiments…
www.DigitalRoyaltyUniversity.com (Promocode for free classes through end of February: ASTDTK)