These are my live blogged notes from the opening session at the ASTD International Conference & Expo (ICE) -- happening this week in Dallas, TX. 10,000 or so training and development people here to extend their practice.
Tony is the President and CEO of ASTD. He shared a lot of date and useful info on current trends with mobile. I only captured some if, but hope someone else took better notes!
Only 30% of orgs have put mobile content out there. In 2013!
Security concerns have been the biggest barriers – some content needs to be more protected than others. OK to put sexual harassment training or management training out there and less secure.
Think Globally – in India more access to smartphones and using them differently whereas in the US we might have access to all sorts of devices. Use the tools that are available to solve the problems that you’re org is faced with.
With mobile -- we've been talking about it for eight years or more, and now it's really starting to happen.
5 Tips from ASTD on mobile:
- Think mobile – always think how to use it to augment learning. (don’t just put a course out there – think performance support, product training…)
- Start small – expect obstacles and be prepared for them.
- Create content specific for mobile devices. It has to be simple enough but not too simple.
- Partner with IT/Compliance/Regulatory – work to clear security barriers.
- Identify impact and effectiveness – tie to business needs and goals.
Some suggested books on mobile:
Chad Udell, Learning Everywhere
Going Mobile from ASTD